Table of Contents
Inside this article we will see the methods of Codeigniter 4 which helps to truncate any database table. It does the table empty. Delete all rows from table.
The TRUNCATE statement in MySQL removes the complete data without removing its structure. It is a part of DDL or data definition language command. Generally, we use this command when we want to delete an entire data from a table without removing the table structure.
As we know CodeIgniter 4 works on Raw queries, Query Builder, Model based concept. We will see CodeIgniter 4 Truncate/Empty table methods in all these cases.
CodeIgniter 4 provides several methods which helps to interact with the database for like insert, update, delete, select etc.
Learn More –
- Concept of Trait in CodeIgniter 4 Tutorial with Example
- Create Custom 404 Page in CodeIgniter 4 | Page Not Found
- Create Custom Command in CodeIgniter 4
- Create Custom Config File in CodeIgniter 4
Let’s get started.
Download & Install CodeIgniter 4 Setup
We need to download & install CodeIgniter 4 application setup to system.
To set application we have multiple options to proceed.
Here are the following ways to download and install CodeIgniter 4 –
- Manual Download
- Composer Installation
- Clone Github repository of CodeIgniter 4
Complete introduction of CodeIgniter 4 basics – Click here to go. After going through this article you can easily download & install setup.
Here is the command to install via composer –
$ composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter codeigniter-4
Assuming you have successfully installed application into your local system.
When we install CodeIgniter 4, we will have env file at root. To use the environment variables means using variables at global scope we need to do env to .env
Either we can do via renaming file as simple as that. Also we can do by terminal command.
Open project in terminal
$ cp env .env
Above command will create a copy of env file to .env file.
Now we are ready to use environment variables.
Enable Development Mode
CodeIgniter starts up in production mode by default. You need to make it in development mode to see any error if you are working with application.
Open .env file from root.
# CI_ENVIRONMENT = production // Do it to CI_ENVIRONMENT = development
Now application is in development mode.
In CodeIgniter 4, query execution process includes
- Raw Query
- Query Builder Class
- Model Based Query
We will see truncate methods in each case when we work.
$db = db_connect(); OR $db = \Config\Database::connect();
Using Raw Query
Truncate Method using raw query as –
$db->query("TRUNCATE TABLE <table_name>"); OR $db->query("TRUNCATE <table_name>");
$db->query("TRUNCATE TABLE countries"); OR $db->query("TRUNCATE countries");
Using Query Builder Class
$builder = $db->table('users'); $builder->truncate(); OR $builder->emptyTable();
Using Model Based Concept
Suppose we have a model as CountryModel.
$object = new CountryModel(); $object->truncate(); OR $object->emptyTable();
All these above methods help you to truncate your database table.
We hope this article helped you to learn CodeIgniter 4 Truncate/Empty Table Methods Tutorial in a very detailed way.
Find More on CodeIgniter 4 here
- CodeIgniter 4 Cookie Helper Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 CRUD Application Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 CRUD REST APIs Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 CSRF Token in AJAX Request
- Database Query in CodeIgniter 4 Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 Ajax Form Data Submit
- CodeIgniter 4 Form Validation Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 Image Upload with Form Tutorial
- Multi language in CodeIgniter 4 Tutorial
- Stripe Payment Gateway Integration in CodeIgniter 4
- CodeIgniter 4 CSRF Token Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 Basics Tutorial
- CodeIgniter 4 Spark CLI Commands Tutorial
- Migration in CodeIgniter 4 Tutorial
- Seeders in CodeIgniter 4 Tutorial